The Hunters (Paperfilms)

The Hunters (Paperfilms) lists four issues:  #1, #1/A, #1/B, and #1/C.  I think that #1 is a duplicate of #1/A based on the cover scans.  I recommend deleting issue #1 and keeping #1/A.  

If you decide to delete #1/A and keep #1, I recommend changing the cover price from $25 to $0.  All of these issues have no cover price on them (this was a Kickstarter project).  The $25 reflects the pledge price (and therefore the Price field) but that is different from the Cover Price field.  

The $25.00 cover price is because that is what it cost to get the book. Saying "pledge price" is misleading because you can pledge any amount and not get a book. You are basically telling the creator that if they print the book, you will pay the $25.00. That is the only price to get it. The aftermarket price can go up or down, but the initial cost is $25.00.

6 hours ago, Alan DeCamp said:

The $25.00 cover price is because that is what it cost to get the book. Saying "pledge price" is misleading because you can pledge any amount and not get a book. You are basically telling the creator that if they print the book, you will pay the $25.00. That is the only price to get it. The aftermarket price can go up or down, but the initial cost is $25.00.

Cover price should be the price printed on the book. Otherwise you’re muddling the definitions of the Cover Price field and the Price field. 

If there is no price printed on the book, then the contents of the Cover Price field should be $0.00.  

is this philosophy different than how CB treats the Cover Price field for incentive variants?  I assume that for those comics CB still lists the printed cover price for that field rather than the initial cost to obtain the book. 

The issue is that the incentives do have a cover price listed. The crowdfunded books are initially only able to be purchased at a certain price.

However, I understand your reasoning, but I still prefer to have the crowdfunded books to have their cover price be what they were offered for.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:42 PM, Alan DeCamp said:

The issue is that the incentives do have a cover price listed. The crowdfunded books are initially only able to be purchased at a certain price.

However, I understand your reasoning, but I still prefer to have the crowdfunded books to have their cover price be what they were offered for.

My biggest concern here is that some variant comic books differ only by their printed cover price.  By assigning a cover price to a comic that doesn't actually have a cover price listed, we run the risk of a database user looking at their copy of Captain Crowdfunder #1 and seeing no cover price and seeing the Captain Crowdfunder #1 entry in ComicBase as having only a version with a $25 cover price.  User then proceeds to submit a new entry to ComicBase with $0.00 as the cover price.  If that correction entry is accepted, then all of a sudden you're looking at two entries in the database for the same thing.  I think it is an unnecessary burden on the CB editorial team to have to keep straight which crowdfunded comics actually have a $25 cover price and which ones cost $25 to get but didn't have any cover price printed on them.    

There is a separate field in the database where users can enter the price that they paid for specific issues, and I would suggest that is the better place to put the crowdfunding platform price for those people who obtain the comic in that manner.  

IMO the ideal would be for the cover price field to be an objective reflection of what the cover price is on the comic, not necessarily a reflection of what it cost to get the comic.  As a compromise, I suppose you could put the crowdfunder price in the Cover Price field *IF* something is added to the Notes field indicating there is no cover price on the issue.