Clean up for 09/13/2023 content update

Gregory Hecht

This week's update added the comic title Stan Lee Presents the Incredible Hulk.  That is a duplication of the title Incredible Hulk, The (Pocket Books) that has been present in the database for some time.  The new title should be deleted.  

While researching the above, I noticed that the database also includes Stan Lee Presents the Fantastic Four.  I was pretty sure that this title was already in the database as Fantastic Four, The (Pocket Books), but maybe I am misremembering.  (There is a UK title Fantastic Four Pocket Book, but that isn't what I am thinking of.)   Since the late 70's U.S. Pocket Books series titles all mostly follow the pattern of [name of superhero/team] (Pocket Books) it might be worth considering changing Stan Lee Presents the Fantastic Four to Fantastic Four, The (Pocket Books).  Just a thought.  

I only have the Amazing Spider-Man set of books but they have Stan Lee Presents (in small print) over The Amazing Spider-Man on the cover and Spine. The back cover has just The Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 2 and 3. One didn't have a number on the back).

The title page has Stan Lee presents over The Amazing Spider-Man and the indicia page has Marvel Comics' over The Amazing Spider-Man (#2 and #3. One doesn't have a number).

Since they vary so much, I would leave them (and change the ones need) to just 'Character (Pocket Books)' as a title. (Only added Books since the others have it).

PS While looking at the other Marvel character Pocket Books, I noticed that all the other have issue numbers Bk x except The two Amazing Spider-Man series. The just have a number (i.e. 1, 2, 3).

The other exception is the Spider-Woman Pocket Book as that is in the database as Spider-Woman (Book).  I'm sure it has been in the database for some time, there may be some (justifiable) hesitancy to change that title to make it look more like the others of its type.  But the "Stan Lee Presents The Fantastic Four" was added so recently that we should be able to avoid it being an outlier.  

There are a few corrections.

A) 'Spider-Woman (Book)' publisher Marvel is incorrect. The Publisher is Pocket (Books).

Should be either 'Spider-Woman (Pocket Books)' or 'Spider-Woman (Pocket)' with Publisher Pocket.

B) Title 'Stan Lee Presents the Incredible Hulk' and 'Incredible Hulk, The (Pocket Books)' are duplicate titles. Probably delete 'Stan Lee Presents the Incredible Hulk' (see next item)

C) Title 'Stan Lee Presents the Fantastic Four' should changed to 'Fantastic Four, The (Pocket Books) or 'Fantastic Four, The (Pocket)'.

All the other Marvel reprint in this 'set' of books are entered without the 'Stan Lee Presents':
Amazing Spider-Man, The (Pocket Books, 1st Series)
Amazing Spider-Man, The (Pocket Books, 2nd Series)
Captain America (Pocket Books)
Doctor Strange (Pocket Books)
Incredible Hulk, The (Pocket Books)
Spider-Woman (Book)

Note 1: As you can see most of these have (Pocket Books) in the title name instead of just Pocket. I am not suggesting they all be changed to just (Pocket) but at least be consistent when changing the titles (Spider-Woman and Fantastic Four) so they all use the same format.

Note 2: 'Stan Lee Presents' isn't used consistently with these books and looks more like 'trade dress' then actually part of the title name.

If you have more questions, let me know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

There are a few corrections.

A) 'Spider-Woman (Book)' publisher Marvel is incorrect. The Publisher is Pocket (Books).

Should be either 'Spider-Woman (Pocket Books)' or 'Spider-Woman (Pocket)' with Publisher Pocket.

B) Title 'Stan Lee Presents the Incredible Hulk' and 'Incredible Hulk, The (Pocket Books)' are duplicate titles. Probably delete 'Stan Lee Presents the Incredible Hulk' (see next item)

C) Title 'Stan Lee Presents the Fantastic Four' should changed to 'Fantastic Four, The (Pocket Books) or 'Fantastic Four, The (Pocket)'.

All the other Marvel reprint in this 'set' of books are entered without the 'Stan Lee Presents':
Amazing Spider-Man, The (Pocket Books, 1st Series)
Amazing Spider-Man, The (Pocket Books, 2nd Series)
Captain America (Pocket Books)
Doctor Strange (Pocket Books)
Incredible Hulk, The (Pocket Books)
Spider-Woman (Book)

Note 1: As you can see most of these have (Pocket Books) in the title name instead of just Pocket. I am not suggesting they all be changed to just (Pocket) but at least be consistent when changing the titles (Spider-Woman and Fantastic Four) so they all use the same format.

Note 2: 'Stan Lee Presents' isn't used consistently with these books and looks more like 'trade dress' then actually part of the title name.

If you have more questions, let me know.

We have another title called Fantastic Four, The (Paperback) where #Bk 3 seems to be the same as Fantastic Four, The (Pocket Books) #Bk 1. Seems like there's a duplicate listing here, would this mean don't even bother keeping Fantastic Four, The (Pocket Books) #Bk 1?

The s

21 minutes ago, Mark J. Castaneda said:

Seems like there's a duplicate listing here, would this mean don't even bother keeping Fantastic Four, The (Pocket Books) #Bk 1?

The short answer is no. Indeed, Bk 3 in Fantastic Four, The (Paperbacks). This Series was published by Lancer (Books) and not Marvel. There were 2 book.

The Fantastic Four published by Pocked (Books) does need its own title.

PS Bk 4 in Fantastic Four, The (Paperbacks) does not belong there, either. This was a different title published by Marvel.

For now, just set up the new 'Fantastic Four, The (Pocket)' (or Pocket Books). I will need more research to try to untangle this mess. When I do, I will notify you on Slack.