Content update without upgrading to CB2024?

Fred Slota

I'm not quite ready with my time to switch over to CB2024.  I've been away for a few weeks, and just want to apply the content update to my current CB2023 database.

Internet | Check for Updates, and I'm presented with the "Program Update Available" window, presenting 2 choices, "Update" or "Not Now".  I don't wish to update, so I choose "Not Now", and...   nothing.

Shouldn't it proceed to the content update?

When I upgrade a version of CB, I take the time for a yearly archive and cleaning.  It might not take time to install, but I do.

However, having been on vacation, I have a 3-week backlog of issues to enter, and a 3-week out-of-date database to update before entering, and would really like to continue using CB2023 at the moment.

I would really like to just apply the content update at the moment without doing the upgrade, which I seem to not be able to do.  Holding down the Shift or Ctrl key while Checking for update does not bypass the Program update prompt.

I think that I’m at least some situations the program update has been necessary for your ComicBase program to know how to handle the weekly content data. I don’t know that has been true all of the time, but it has been the case at least some of the time (obvious examples include new fields or new media categories). 

Thanks for that information J. Smythe.

I have tested this out by uninstalling CB 2024, installing CB 2023 and opening an old database that needed content updated.

Using Menu item Internet/Check for Updates will require you to install any 'forced' update without the ability to update content.

But, using Menu item File->Collection Statiistics (F12) then selecting Download Update WILL download the content update without being asked to update the database.

• 1 month later...