Threshold series

Gregory Hecht

The database includes the following comic book titles:  Threshold (1st series), Threshold (2nd series), and Threshold (3rd series).  

The first and second series are related to each other, so their titles in the database make complete sense.  Threshold (3rd series) has nothing at all to do with the first two series by that name, its a completely different thing by different creators and coming out from a different publisher.  

I recognize that Threshold (3rd series) has been in the database for a very long time, but I thought I would float up a trial balloon anyway to see if there was interest in re-naming Threshold (3rd series) to Threshold (Avatar).  

On 12/14/2023 at 3:43 PM, Gregory Hecht said:

The database includes the following comic book titles:  Threshold (1st series), Threshold (2nd series), and Threshold (3rd series).  

The first and second series are related to each other, so their titles in the database make complete sense.  Threshold (3rd series) has nothing at all to do with the first two series by that name, its a completely different thing by different creators and coming out from a different publisher.  

I recognize that Threshold (3rd series) has been in the database for a very long time, but I thought I would float up a trial balloon anyway to see if there was interest in re-naming Threshold (3rd series) to Threshold (Avatar).  

This is in the category of the things that's bothered me in CB. While I understand that the title is essentially the primary key and that similar titles are differentiated either by adding (Xth Series) or (Publisher) to the end of the title name, it not only causes a can of worms like this, but it's not really very helpful. I'm a big SHAZAM! fan and if I see SHAZAM! (5th Series) and SHAZAM! (6th Series), I, for the life of me, couldn't tell you what series they're referring to (plus the fact that it's subjective to whoever entered the title in the first place). It's always seemed to me that the primary key should be a combination of Publisher/Title/InitialPublicationYear or InitialPublicationDate. That would prevent problems like this. I know that CB is not going to change but every time I see this type of problem raise its head, it makes me scratch mine. Plus someone will inevitably jump in and say, "I've already created labels and this will screw up my collection."

• Like 1