Larger Cover Images Being Replaced by Smaller Ones

Andrew d’Entremont

While updating my collection this evening I noticed that quite a few of the larger cover images which I had previously scanned and submitted to Comic Base have been replaced by smaller versions.

I have the the 2022 Archive edition so I know I don't get the 4K images when I download covers, but I don't think that larger scans I have added myself should be replaced. 

Any idea why this is happening? I just updated to build 1425 if that helps at all. 

It depends on when the covers were replaced.

I believe the Update process won't (or at least shouldn't) replace larger covers.

However, if you manually select 'Download Cover' it will download what HC has and replace what you have, regardless of size.

If you have the 'Automatically download larger pictures' in Preferences checked, I am not sure what will happen. I would hope it wouldn't replace a larger cover with a smaller one but I am not sure.

I do have "replace smaller existing covers" checked, but I haven't manually download any covers. For example, When I clicked on the cover to Radiant Black 10\D which I had recently scanned and added, it was much smaller than the scan I submitted. I then decided to check Comic Shop News since I've been scanning and uploading a lot of the gatefold covers and they are all the smaller version now too. 

Any cover that gets submitted by users will require our editorial team to review them to be officially added to our master database. The turnaround time is usually a week if there's no issue with them.

With that said, you may be downloading the cover(s) too soon - Our Ed. team may not have addressed newer submitted higher res versions yet and you end downloading an older/low res version.

I'm afraid that explanation doesn't really line up with what I have experienced. I already had the larger images of Comic Shop News in my personal database so I wouldn't have needed to download them. I've also been adding and submitting larger scans of CSN since last June and it's only in the last couple of weeks that they have all been replaced with smaller versions.

I can also tell that the smaller versions of the cover images now displaying in CB are scans of the images I submitted. Everything lines up with the original scans I still have on my hard drive, right down to the scuffs and creases, and the adjustments I made to the levels.  There is also the fact that most of the covers I submitted were scans of the full gatefold cover. The whole reason I started scanning them in the first place was because most of the older images only included one side of the cover and were very small. 

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't really a huge deal to me since I can always add the larger scans again if I want to since I still have the original files. I'm just trying to understand why this has happened and prevent it from happening again moving forward.

Thanks!