Marvel Masterworks putting out new editions of old volumes

Marvel has begun publishing new editions of old volumes of their Marvel Masterworks books.  The first of these to come out is Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1 (and I have to say that it looks beautiful, especially compared to the original 1980's release of this book).  All of these reissues will have silver & black dustjacket and DM-only "marble" dustjacket versions.  

The indicia states that this book is "4th edition, 1st printing."  The back of the dustjacket has "MMXXIII" so that this edition can be distinguished from other versions even if it is still in shrinkwrap.  

How should this book be handled in the database?  I am suggesting that it be listed under the Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man title as #1/HC-3 (for the s&b dj version) and #1/B (for the marble dj version).  Normally the marble dj versions get the "A variant" designation, but for this particular book there are already A variants (the Comicraft cover dress editions) with multiple printings.  

I would suggest that in the Notes for each of these would contain "4th edition, 1st printing."  I would further suggest that the Item Description field indicate type of dustjacket and the MMXXIII notation.  

Reactions to all of this?

The Marvel Masterworks (w/o further identification) volume #1 is a Spider-Man volume, reprinting Amazing Spider-Man #1-10 and Amazing Fantasy #15.  Is the new volume a reprint of this book?  If so, the title should be "Marvel Masterworks" without the ": The Amazing Spider-Man" and it would be appropriately listed under the Marvel Masterworks series of hardcover books, since it's a reprint of the first volume of that series.

r/ Mike

Ordinarily that would be correct, but a number of later printings/versions of that volume have been placed under the Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man title that I linked to in my OP. We can’t move those books now, they have been there for years (and they should be listed someplace as they technically are not duplicates, they are new editions of the original book and reprinting a thereof).  And I don’t think it makes sense to jump back to the old title at this point, especially since it is possible that this wave of MMW reissues could go beyond what the original books covered (I.e. go past what is listed in the original Marvel Masterworks title in the database). 

I may be wrong, but I suspect that the original title really is just for the original run of the MMW books which only had the trade dress (hardcover “marble” dust jackets).  Anything after that (I.e. starting with the Comicraft covers) goes into the separate MMW titles bc for a time the numbering of the original MMW series was abandoned. It wasn’t until after the Comicraft trade dress was dropped that the sequential MMW volume numbering was resumed, but when that happened it was confined to just the marble dj variant trade dress (the s&b dj trade dress kept to the title-specific volume numbering).  

1 hour ago, Michael R. Wagner said:

Is the new volume a reprint of this book? 

To answer your question in a super-picky way:  no it isn’t a true reprint. It is a new edition: further restoration of the artwork, colors restored to the color guides of the original comics, and new set of bonus features in the back. 

Greg, the series you propose using was established in the database separate from the Marvel Masterworks series presumably because the indicia was different from the original Masterworks series.  It included the name of the character who's stories were reprinted.  It made sense to give it its own database entry because of the different indicia.  The original series started in 1988, but the second series that is Spider-Man-specific started in 2002.  Both series have been there for years - 35 and 21 years, respectively.  The current run of Marvel facsimile editions are being correctly placed under the titles they reprint, which are decades old.  Starting age of the series shouldn't be any more of an issue than how the cover is presented when it comes to where to list it in the database.  Indicia is supposed to be the driving factor.  The new reprint volume should go under whichever of the two series has the matching indicia. 

r/ Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the case of a 4th edition 1st printing for MMW The Amazing Spider-man; we're thinking go with the next available letter variant - so 1/B. Naturally, use the notes field to mention its a 4th edition, 1st print. Download the line, if a 2nd print comes out for the 4th edition then we could set that as #1/B-2.

• 5 weeks later...

The 8/30 weekly update added Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four #1/HC (4th printing).  This is the 2023 new edition (similar to the Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man 2023 edition that prompted my OP).  To be consistent with the advice from @Mark J. Castaneda above, this new entry should be deleted and be replaced by the following two new entries under this title:
     • issue #1 variation D (for the silver & black dustjacket edition)
     • issue #1 variation E (for the marble dustjacket edition)
The new entries should have homologous info in the Notes and the Item Description fields as for the MMW:TAMS 2023 edition.  

Similarly, today's update also added Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men #1/HC (3rd printing).  This entry should also be deleted and be replaced by the following two new entries:
And again, the new entries should have homologous info in the Notes and the Item Description fields as for the MMW:TAMS 2023 edition.  

On 8/30/2023 at 9:55 PM, Gregory Hecht said:

The 8/30 weekly update added Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four #1/HC (4th printing).  This is the 2023 new edition (similar to the Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man 2023 edition that prompted my OP).  To be consistent with the advice from @Mark J. Castaneda above, this new entry should be deleted and be replaced by the following two new entries under this title:
The new entries should have homologous info in the Notes and the Item Description fields as for the MMW:TAMS 2023 edition.  

Similarly, today's update also added Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men #1/HC (3rd printing).  This entry should also be deleted and be replaced by the following two new entries:
And again, the new entries should have homologous info in the Notes and the Item Description fields as for the MMW:TAMS 2023 edition.  

We'll go ahead and delete the entries you mentioned. If you haven't already, can you send in submissions for the others mention in this new thread post?

4 hours ago, Mark J. Castaneda said:

We'll go ahead and delete the entries you mentioned. If you haven't already, can you send in submissions for the others mention in this new thread post?

Done.  As with the MMW Amazing Spider-Man, I don't have the silver & black dustjacket for either the FF or X-Men volumes... so somebody else will need to provide the UPC and the scan.  

FYI:  After I submitted MMW:FF #1/E, I noticed that I had a typo in the Notes field.  Instead of "ca. 2022" it should be "ca. 2023".  All of the info for MMW:FF #1/D should be correct, just the #1/E had that error.  Thanks!  

• 2 months later...

I see that the database includes one of the recent re-issues of Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man #2, but it is listed as #2/A (2nd print).  That issue should be deleted.  

In keeping with our discussion above, the silver & black re-issue of that book should be MM:TAS-M #2/D and the marble variant re-issue of that book should be MM:TAS-M #2/E.  I will try to get those submitted in the next couple of days.  

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2023 at 12:10 AM, Gregory Hecht said:

I see that the database includes one of the recent re-issues of Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man #2, but it is listed as #2/A (2nd print).  That issue should be deleted.  

In keeping with our discussion above, the silver & black re-issue of that book should be MM:TAS-M #2/D and the marble variant re-issue of that book should be MM:TAS-M #2/E.  I will try to get those submitted in the next couple of days.  

Ufda, time flies!  I finally got around to submitting this.  Please delete Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man #2/A (2nd print).  The silver & black new edition has been submitted as #2-D (somebody who has a copy should submit a scan and UPC) and the marble new edition has been submitted as #2-E (complete info including scan has been sent).  

The new edition for Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men #2 came out recently.  As per the discussion above, it looks like the silver & black edition should be #2/D and the marble edition should be #2/E.  These have also been submitted.  

As with the above, somebody will need to submit a cover scan and UPC # for #2-D.  Full info plus scan were submitted for #2/E.  

• 2 months later...