Item Selection

I know it came up in the beta discussions but have we revisited the idea of selecting an item by simply clicking on any field on that item rather than having to go to the far left?  It seems like such a small thing, but it is really making me nuts.  I get in a rhythm and panic when I look up and see one book shown in the top area while I'm working on another.  Maybe it's something that could be an option? 

This is a built-in limit of the grid, and it's part of a trade-off between allowing for a free-form selection of cells. In short: allowing a free-form selection in the grid required us to give up the old behavior where selecting any cell selected the whole row. The current behavior is basically the same as with Excel: to select a whole line, you need to explicitly select the row by clicking the far-left cell.

• 4 weeks later...

Like many others, I also didn't like the new requirement to click the far-left cell to select a whole line, but I have to admit that I'm getting used to selecting a specific cell in a row when it's the only cell I want to change, and I now like being able to do that.  Opening a row still hangs up the program for 30-40 seconds for me (been that way since I started using 2020), so I find opening a single cell is prefereable a lot of the time.

r/

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I really dislike the fact I have to click to the left. I would happily give up the free-form selection of cells, which seems of very limited value in favor of being able to go back to selecting a cell and having that be the active record. I haven't heard of any significant number of users that like the free-form selection over the general row selection. 

Perhaps Comicbase should send out a survey to get the user base's feelings on this and other things.....