Comicbase 2022 slow to open

Michael R. Wagner

Comicbase used to take 10-15 seconds from clicking on the icon to the database window open and ready to use.  Since installing the 2022 edition, it now takes nearly 3 minutes.  The first minute passes with the opening dialog box displayed, the status bar frozen around 2/3 complete.  Then, the window frame opens with a black screen while the status bar reads "not responding" for another 2 minutes.  I'm running the Archive edition and downloaded/installed the new edition without any deviation from the default procedure.  I also haven't made any  other changes to my computer since before or after installing the new edition.

Any thoughts/ideas?

r/

Mike

-Is the problem consistent with every session in the CB software or it varies?

-is your db stored in a specific location than the default?

-Do other programs have a similar lag?

-In general, does your computer run efficiently versus takes a few moments than normal to bootup and run various programs?

Could be worth doing a deep clean on your computer like empty the recycle bin, defrag drive(s), getting rid of files/programs that you don't use to get some performance back.

Good thoughts to consider, Mark, thanks.

So far the slow start has been consistent.  The db is stored in its default location, as is all other CB install options.  I looked at older versions and my db has stayed around 825 mb in size, no noticeable increase or decrease since updating to the 2022 version.

I haven't experienced a similar lag in any other programs; they all open the way they have been for a long time.  I do periodically perform the deep clean-type of actions that you suggest.  It's been a couple of weeks since I last did that, so I'll repeat those and see if there's any improvement.

outside of what i suggested, not sure what else could be slowing you down. What usually is happening when you start up is the program communicates with our server to validate your SN. If its lagging at that part then their could be an issue with internet (connection speed and/or stability). If you have any internet security like Norton, it could be doing some sort of safety check before allowing the internet connection which could be a cause too.

Yep, I thought about the internet connection, but haven't noticed any particular changes in connection speed, at least none that I've noticed.  I do use Norton for internet security, but have been using it for many years without this issue - tho' perhaps Norton has changed something in its background operation - which isn't beyond the realm of possibility by any stretch of imagination.

Thanks for the ideas.  I'll update this if the problem corrects itself.

r/

MikeW

• 3 weeks later...