Is there a reason why "El Dorado" is listed as "Dorado, El" in the database?  The comic is referencing both a movie and a place-name, El Dorado.  Wouldn't this be an exception to the rule of putting definite articles at the end of a title?  The only way I could pull it up was by looking for the publisher.  Thanks!

Just about all lists I have seen do not consider leasing articles when considering the Order of names.  'El' is Spanish is an article and should not be the leading part of a sort order so 'El Dorado' should be sorted among the 'D's.
The Issue table only has 'Title' in it while the Title table has 'Title', 'DisplayTitle' and 'AlphabetizedTitle'. Not knowing the programming, I don't know if a Find can be done on 'Title' and' 'DisplayTitle' (which would have the leading article at the beginning) with out slowing down the process and/or getting duplicates in the suggestion list. Same thing when you display the Title window (CTRL+T).

Having said that, when doing a Find (especially if you are having problems getting the result you want), try using signficant or fewer words. In the case of 'El Dorado', trying 'Dorado' would have suggested 2 titles would be suggested (with one of the 'Dorado, El'). Even just typing 'Dora' would bring up a list with 'Derado, El' being first in the list.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:57 PM, Steven L. Dasinger said:

Just about all lists I have seen do not consider leasing articles when considering the Order of names.  'El' is Spanish is an article and should not be the leading part of a sort order so 'El Dorado' should be sorted among the 'D's

I agree in general, but in this case (if it's what I'm thinking of), "El Dorado" is a proper name, in that it's the title of the movie this comic adapts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Sternberg said:

I agree in general, but in this case (if it's what I'm thinking of), "El Dorado" is a proper name, in that it's the title of the movie this comic adapts.

Comic adaptations of movies that begin with an article still get the article moved to the end.  For example, Marvel's adaptation of The Deep is listed in the database as "Deep, The".  By that same convention, El Dorado should be listed as "Dorado, El".  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 11:29 PM, Gregory Hecht said:

Comic adaptations of movies that begin with an article still get the article moved to the end.  For example, Marvel's adaptation of The Deep is listed in the database as "Deep, The".  By that same convention, El Dorado should be listed as "Dorado, El".  

Respectfully disagree.  El Dorado is a PLACE NAME.  So you're telling me that by this convention, a comic book names after the city of Los Angeles, would be listed under "Angeles, Los"?  See attached screen shot when I searched for "El Dorado" on IMDB.  Notice they're not moving "El" to the end.

el dorado_IMDB.png

To the extent that the conventions adopted by IMDB matter to what conventions CB has adopted, I would point out that IMDB doesn't move "The" or any other articles to the end of their titles.    

Just because "El" is part of the name of a place, that doesn't mean that it should exempted from CB's style conventions.  "The" is part of the name of "The Grand Canyon," and if there were a book or comic entitled "The Grand Canyon" I would expect that the CB editors would file that title under "G" rather than "T".

Your point about Los Angeles is relevant, however, and it does suggest that maintaining consistency of the CB conventions would require that the existing title Los Angeles Ink Stains should be filed under "A" rather than "L".  Thoughts on this @Mark J. Castaneda @Peter Bickford ?