Cleanup in People Indexes...

Fred Slota

Just noticed entries in the indexed Cover Artists lists for

• Arreola, Ken Lashley & Ulises
  • Arreola, Ken Lashley and Ulises

If I went through the various people fields and corrected "& and "and" and the like (and submitting for updates), will the indexing correct itself locally if I (and others after receiving updates) rebuild indexes, or is this something that needs to be done in house?

Did you know that the suggestions for searching for people's names is punctuation-specific?  I didn't.

Search for Cover Artist, start typing "J S" and there is an entry for "Campbell, J Scott", which did not find the books I knew existed.

Because, they're entered under "Campbell, J. Scott", which you can only find if you start typing "J. S".

1) I think the search should ignore punctuation.

2) I assume the standard for data entry is to include the ".", yes?

incidentally, there are also entries for "Cambell, J. Scott" and "Campbel, J. Scott".

It has been a lingering issue that some people's names haven't been standardized in the database.  As multiple names for the same person are discovered, they should pointed out to the CB editorial team (especially @Mark J. Castaneda ) so they can settle on a standard version and update the database accordingly.  

As an aside:  a thornier problem is how to handle pseudonyms.  Long ago, it was stated on the original message boards (link doesn't work; don't know if the old boards were intentionally taken down) that the policy was to list all creators by their standard name even if a pseudonym was used in the credits of the comic.  This was brought up in the comments of a relatively recent Livestream, and @Peter R. Bickford indicated that it might be worth revisiting the topic... I don't think that has happened yet as other things have been on the front burners, but maybe this post will nudge that along a little bit.    

Cover Artist with " and" or " & " - 119 found

Some were notations like "(front & back)"

Corrected 77 and submitted.   I'll clean other fields soon.

Unchanged entries that I wasn't sure how to handle

"Calyx Design & Jason R, . Rich"  what are the correct names?

"Michael Roden and Jeff Gaither (front)" Is this front for both, so unneeded, or front for Jeff Gaither only?

16 hours ago, Gregory Hecht said:

@Mark J. Castaneda What is the official CB policy on this kind of notation in the cover artist fields?  Doesn't this kind of notation have the potential to affect the outcome of searches for specific people in that field?

front cover... pretty simple, just note the artist name like normal.

back cover... we've gone the way of noting the name then back cover - ex: John Bryne (back cover).

1 hour ago, Fred Slota said:

Exciting Comics (Antarctic) #28 has the following in the Writer field...

Gary Kelley, Brett Scheurman, Jamal "Malley" Simpson with co-writer Jason Fernandez and script consultant Carlos Raphael, Kyrun Silva

Can someone else take a whack at this one?

This likely got sent in by a user who probably just copied and pasted data from a website description. We'll take a stab at fixing the format of the creator data.

I left "Malibu & Digital Chameleon" at the moment.

I paired down Brett Breeding, and for the moment postfixed (co-writer) and (script consultant) for the other.

Oh, and I have realized that there was an Iron Man (6th Series) #25 with writer credits, so copied that across into 25/A and 25/B.