The ComicBase Livestream thread!

Just posted on ComicBase homepage a few minutes ago today (3/17):

Please Stand By

No Livestream today, sorry!(Still waiting on some equipment to arrive, some third parties to do their thing before we can show off what we meant to today). If things change, we'll see if we can get one going later this week--otherwise, we'll pick it up at our usual time of 4PM Central next Wednesday.

I'm just catching up on yesterday's Livestream, and I just had to say THANK YOU!  This is going to make it so much easier when I go back issue bin diving! 

Also, I made sure to write a review in the Apple App store. It truly does not suck for me! 

Edited by Andrew d’Entremont
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there going to be a Livestream today (4/21)?  I'm not seeing an announcement for it yet.  I know that a new version (21.0.2) was just pushed out, and the last time we had a big update Pete wasn't available for a session that week.  

EDIT:  I see that the Livestream announcement for today's session just got posted.

• 2 months later...
Out of curiosity, have you guys developed a strategy yet for Kickstarter / Indigogo / etc comics projects as far as determining if/when projects that are fully-funded are actually fulfilled, how those are dated in the database, and how to handle covers which may differ from the preview art shown for the campaign? Info on "funded" projects that may or may not have made it into the real world seems tough to come by. Perhaps showing them with "Preliminary Artwork" on the covers, as with Diamond issues that have been solicited but not yet printed? Entering issues once I have them in hand is one thing, but I'd like to also be able to use ComicBase (and by extension AtomicAvenue) to help identify and track down some of these interesting comics that were not solicited through traditional distribution channels.

I've bitten on a handful of Kickstarters lately that I will scan and enter when they arrive, but passed on many more, not to mention those that came previously before I was paying attention. When I do enter them though, do you guys prefer the Notes to read "Funded via Kickstarter," "Self-Published via Kickstarter," just "Kickstarter" or something else? 

And a couple of follow-up items for the NFT discussion from a few weeks ago, and whether/how it would affect comics collecting:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear/marvel-and-veve-collaborate-to-offer-digital-collectibles-experience-for-marvel-fans-worldwide

https://www.macroverse.com/  is a new platform for the creation and distribution of creator-owned NFT comics

3 hours ago, Lance Fittro said:
Out of curiosity, have you guys developed a strategy yet for Kickstarter / Indigogo / etc comics projects as far as determining if/when projects that are fully-funded are actually fulfilled, how those are dated in the database, and how to handle covers which may differ from the preview art shown for the campaign? Info on "funded" projects that may or may not have made it into the real world seems tough to come by. Perhaps showing them with "Preliminary Artwork" on the covers, as with Diamond issues that have been solicited but not yet printed? Entering issues once I have them in hand is one thing, but I'd like to also be able to use ComicBase (and by extension AtomicAvenue) to help identify and track down some of these interesting comics that were not solicited through traditional distribution channels.

I've bitten on a handful of Kickstarters lately that I will scan and enter when they arrive, but passed on many more, not to mention those that came previously before I was paying attention. When I do enter them though, do you guys prefer the Notes to read "Funded via Kickstarter," "Self-Published via Kickstarter," just "Kickstarter" or something else? 

I don't think that Kickstarter products get entered into the database unless one of the following two things happens:  (1) a ComicBase user receives the comic and submits the info for it from their database [I did this recently for Heavy Rotation, for example]; or (2) the comic gets solicited by Diamond. 

And, in the case of pathway #2, if there is a different version or variant that corresponds to what Kickstarter backers received, that version won't be in the database unless or until a user submits it.  

I don't think that anybody from HC trolls through all of the Kickstarter campaigns for the purpose of pre-entering those comics into the database.  First, I doubt that there is a method for doing so that is time efficient, an important point given the massive number of edits and corrections that flood into HC each week.  Second, not all funded Kickstarters actually end up successfully getting the promised comic into the hands of backers.  HC has a hard enough problem catching all of the comic cancellations that happen regarding comics that are formally solicited through Diamond and Lunar (and, soon, Penguin Random House), there's no way they would want to add to the problem by just adding in Kickstarter comics before they actually generate finished materials.  

In terms of release date, I think it is just usually a "ca. 2021" notation in the Notes field (or whatever year the product actually arrived in the hands of backers).  You wouldn't want to date it in regards to the end of the Kickstarter campaign, that can sometimes be literally years before the actual product shows up.  And obviously street date becomes kind of irrelevant for most (if not all) Kickstarter items since fulfillment can take weeks or even months for the backers to get everything into the mail.  

Cover art for Kickstarter items are typically based on scans of the actual comics, usually not the preliminary art on the campaign webpage.